Safety Tips for Extinguishing a Minor Kitchen Grease Fire
There is something wonderful about sitting down at the table to enjoy a good meal with friends or family. There is nothing so wonderful, however about a grease fire breaking out in your kitchen. Grease is a prime fuel for fire and burns fast and hot. You may only have seconds to put it out before you are forced to evacuate the home.
You try to be careful when you cook, but accidents can happen. There are a few things that may help you stay safer in a kitchen fire. Take a look as these helpful pointers and put them into action in your home.
5 Important Tips for Extinguishing Burning Grease
•First, remove the heat source - turn it off or unplug it if you can
•Never, ever put water on a grease fire - grease and flames will splatter and spread quickly out of control – water will seriously complicate the situation
•Smother the flames with a lid, another pot or a large bowl If possible, or you can use a Class B dry chemical fire extinguisher if you have one
•Dumping several cups of table salt on the flames can also be a very effective way to suffocate the fire as it can absorb the heat
•Baking soda is helpful in large amounts, but do not store above the oven, as you may not be able to safely reach over the flames
When To Get Help
Smothering the flames is your best bet. But if the fire is large or if one of the tips above doesn’t work right away, get everyone out of the house and call the fire department in Chesterfield, MO for help. Besides the fire cleanup itself, the smoke from burning grease leaves a nasty residue and can have a pretty strong odor, so you may greatly benefit from having a professional fire cleanup team come in to help you.
Memorize these tips about preventing a grease fire and prepare in advance by getting necessary supplies on hand. You would do well to have emergency numbers at hand as well. Being prepared is always better than having regrets.